Flutter ESP8266 & ESP32 IoT Starter Kit
Flutter ESP8266 IoT Starter Kit is a starter project for freelancers, indie developers, hobbyists and professionals. This project includes source code for a simple Flutter application which can target Android, iOS as well as other platforms which are supported by Flutter, and a robust C++ based firmware for Arduino based ESP8266 / ESP32 devices.
The aim of this starter kit is to enable the developers to quickly launch their IoT project with custom branded apps for themselves or their customers. The codebase for the app and firmware is boilerplate to get you started quickly, as you can add more functionality to the main app and the device without having to worry about core features like App Settings, Multilingual Support, light and dark themes, and MQTT Communication.
Same is true for the ESP firmware, the firmware is a time-tested codebase, which we have used in our own commercial-grade projects for years, and this can be used as a base project for adding functionality without tangling yourself in features like Easy Wi-Fi Onboarding, Device Settings, Retry-to-Connect logic as well as MQTT Communications with app.
The app and the firmware by default use a public MQTT broker (as a demo) without any authentication to send commands to the device and receive command responses and data. The MQTT broker settings and credentials can easily be updated in the app as well as the ESP device without having to compile the app or the firmware.
Mobile App Features
- Designed in Flutter, one of the best cross-platform mobile development framework backed by Google and a great open-source community
- Flutter app can be natively complied to target all major platforms including: Android, iOS, Windows Linux, MacOS and Raspberry Pi
- Clean code which can be easily customized and branded for your own projects
- Dark and Light mode support
- Streamlined multilingual implementation and selection through Settings page
- Settings screen with save and load implementation
- App can used as a Flutter Project Starter Template (Settings, Splash, Dark Theme, Multilingual etc.)
- The source code is now adopted to Flutter v2 and Dart v2.12.0 with sound null-safety for better runtime safety and performance
- With sound null-safety, we have also replaced with outdated and discontinued packages with new and improved packages. For example “preferences” package is replaced with “pref” package.
The Screens Included with app are:
- Splash Screen
- Main Screen with Data Graphs, Event Log, and Drawer Menu
- Settings Screen with additional dialog for MQTT Settings
- Help Screen driven by Markdown based content to easily ship app documentation
ESP Firmware Features
- Commercial grade and time-tested firmware, ready to deploy for your personal and commercial projects
- Wi-Fi and MQTT Broker Configuration Pages through AP Mode and Captive Portal
- MQTT Protocol for 2-way communications for Remote Control and Telemetry
- Dedicated LED Light with blinking behavior to let you know the device state (Booting/Connecting, Looking for MQTT, Ready State)
- Highly resilient firmware with persisting configuration and auto-retry logic
- Clean Code with comments and documentation for customization and modifications for your own projects